SidelineSwap is a great place to buy and sell new or used hockey skates. Below are some tips to help you ship your skates safely and efficiently.
Materials You'll Need
- Depending on the skate size, you'll need one or two 12" x 12" x 8" boxes available for free with a prepaid USPS Priority Mail shipping label or available at FedEx.
- Bubble wrap, available at FedEx or at any office supply store or general merchandise store (i.e. Target, Walmart)
- Quality packing tape, available at FedEx or at any office supply store or general merchandise store (i.e. Target, Walmart)
- Cardboard scraps, available from previously used packaging of any sort
- Newspaper, old magazines, parchment paper, available at any office supply store or general merchandise store (i.e. Target, Walmart)
- In lieu of bubble wrap, you may use old sheets, towels, newspaper, old magazines, parchment paper to protect your skates.
Package Your Skates
- Begin by wrapping one skate with bubble wrap, an old sheet, towel, magazine sheets, parchment paper, or newspaper. Wrap around the skate completely so that there's about two layers of protective material around it. Repeat with the second skate, making sure to tape well around the skate.
- Place the crumpled magazine sheets, newspaper, or parchment paper at the bottom of the first box. This will serve as padding for the skates and will protect the skates from shifting in-transit.
- Carefully place the skates in the box and fill the excess space with more crumpled magazine sheets, newspaper, or parchment paper.
- If you're shipping larger skates, place more crumpled magazine sheets, newspaper, or parchment paper in the bottom of the second box. Then, place the second box over the top of the first box and push down until the box touches the skates. The two boxes will act as a telescoping box.
- Tape around the box(es) well to ensure the box stays intact while in transit. If you're using two boxes, make sure to use extra tape as the boxes may come apart if not taped well.
- Attach the shipping label to the package and send the skates to their new owner!